Friday, 14 November 2014

Diary of a Menstrual Cup User – Day Two and Three (The day I panicked)

I recommend that you read the prologue to this series and the first part before moving on to this post.

On the second day I woke up around 11 am after a cosy eight-hour sleep. Usually I would head right to the bathroom to check and change the pad, but now I felt nothing. And when I did get down to checking whether the cup was full or leaking or spotting, it wasn’t. 

I decided that I would cut a section of the stem the second day. After the trimming, it felt better though not optimal. I thought I’d test the day with the shorter stem and reduce it further if I felt comfortable with the reduced length in pulling it down. And on Day Three, I cut one more notch down, and smoothened the edges so they don’t hurt. And that second cutting worked wonders. Now my cup’s stem is just 1-cm long and I no longer get the feeling that a foreign object is inside me. 


Unnerving moments

The second day was uneventful otherwise. I cleaned the cup out every 5-6 hours, each time throwing out less than 5-7ml of blood. I did not have any cramps on the second day, and I was more at ease. But on the third day, towards evening, the cramps returned. I had severe gas trouble and backache as well, like on the first day. I was getting very uncomfortable – not with the cup but with my body in general, not to mention the fact that I started feeling dizzy and started sweating all of a sudden. Amid all this, I was reading some of the threads on the menstrual cups forum on livejournal, and some of the problems women have faced just psyched me out. 

For example, some women have had cups stuck in their vagina for two to three days because of the tight suction. Some women have had excessive cramps due to the pressure of the suction on the cervix. Some others have fainted from the cramps. Reading all this made me wonder if my cup was the thing giving me cramps on this third day (cramps on second, third or even fourth days don’t happen to me every month, but it isn’t unusual either). And all of that together made me panic. I pulled out and reinserted my cup three times while in the office to ease the suction off, though my brain told me that it couldn’t feel any tension in the vaginal cavity. 

Finally I took a deep breath, ordered a Veggie Delight from Subway, sucked on a few Polo mints and relaxed myself out of the morbid thoughts. I restrained my dizziness through single-minded focus on work (and of course the sugar). But when I reached home, I decided that I needed to give the cup a rest for the night because my thoughts needed some sorting out. So I cleaned out the cup, wiped it and slid it into its pouch, before slapping on a sanitary pad on my panty and retiring for the day. And returning to the pad for the night felt like going to a movie with an ex-boyfriend with whom you’re probably likely to have some friendship in the future, but it’s going nowhere currently! 

(This is a non-fictional diary entry designed to spread awareness about menstrual cups. The author promises to give a true and honest review, and narrate her experiences as decently as possible.) 
Post a Comment