Thursday 21 October 2010

Snippets from a poet's mind

I.
The eyes once refused
to see the colours of hope.
And now the darkness has settled upon them.

II.
We heard a song together once
And rode upon its lyrics to heaven.
I came crashing down when the CD got stuck,
And you got stuck in the audio output wire.

III.
Those memories pain me yet.
What do they do to you, dear?

IV.
I want to be like the tides,
That rejoice in nothing but the frolic
of carrying memories
but not in burden, not in pain.

V.
I look out of the window every time
I hear the mating screech of kites.
They care not for a dime
Of my two watchful eyes.

VI.
I watch the clock tick,
Listen to the chirp of birds,
Feel the breeze from the ceiling fan,
Follow the notes of my thoughts.

I'm quite busy, darling.
No time for sorrows, loneliness or pain.

VII.
True to my word,
I didn't speak to you so long.
But what about the million conversations
We carry out in my head every day?

4 comments:

Deepika said...

"I'm quite busy, darling.
No time for sorrows, loneliness or pain."

Ah! how we lie about being "busy"! but though one may keep the wolves from one's door, they still howl out there in the darkness!

can relate to this poem, nami. great subtlety. love it!

cheers!

Namitha said...

Thanks Deepu! It's always nice to see your comment :)

Anisa Fathima said...

You write beautifully...I especially love the last couple of lines of this poem...Keep writing!

Namitha said...

Thanks Anisa :)